of duckies and froggies...

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, May 28, 2007

of pyramid schemes and names...

I am not sure how it goes but I think I have been tagged. From what I read in other blogs I think it’s something to about posting to a specific topic or set of pre determined questions. And when you are done, you are supposed to list (or tag) other bloggers and they in turn go on to repeat the same cycle. I think something sort of like a blogging pyramid scheme but with no money involved.
So, anyway, I was reading this hijackqueen’s blog and she has this post about how she named her children then at the end of it she has something like she wanna tag other bloggers and Sue Yi’s papa is one of them. So I guess it’s me then.
Ironically I have been thinking about writing about Sue Yi’s name before I read her latest post. Must be some kind of an intergalactic psycho mumbo jumbo perhaps?
Anyway, sometime through the course of wifey’s pregnancy, the thought of what to name our daughter came to mind. My criteria is that the name has to be common enough that the normal Ah ee in the market can pronounce, but not be too plain. Has to be distinctive too so that she will stand out but not too weird unique that little boys and girls will make fun of. There were also a few tips from baby center like finding out the meaning of the name, test it out with the last name to see if it jive, and a few more. One that I find interesting is that to try not to have the last alphabet of the first name same as the first alphabet of the last name. Sounds odd but makes sense because if you pronounce the name, it will sound like he first name and the last name joined together. Then there is also the kiasu ah ee tips like give names that start with A so that the kid will be called first in class and gets to sit in front.
With those tips on hand we narrow down to a few.
Some of my early proposal are; First there was Laquesha – (haha just joking only la. I knew wifey will shoot this one down) coz it sound interesting, but I doubt that it will pass the ‘Ah Ee in the market can pronounce’ test. Then there is Bootsie – Got this from a book on baby names. The book is pretty cool because it has list of names like ‘List of cute names’, ‘list names that will get misspelled’ etc. of but I doubt I want my daughter to spend her adult years in counseling. Then there is Scout, a character from the book ‘to kill a mockingbird’. I was also pretty stuck on Sadie (Pronounced as Say-dee), but I think it will be mispronounced easily. I guess you kinda know where this is going right?

So I guess it goes without saying that as far as the name goes, our shortlist are mostly from wifey. (cue to Sue Yi: go hug you mommy for saving you from the disgrace of a weird name). I have to admit though that the names that she shortlisted are pretty cool.

Then there’s the part on the Chinese name. This is the easier part. We just delegate the task to our parents. Wifey thinks that probably it’s good to ask my parents for suggestions. My mom kinda took to that task, but se seem to be taking a lot of time and did not come up with anything. Fortunately we got that covered and went and asked wifey’s dad for some suggestion. Wifey’s brother gave us the contact of a guy who calculates and suggest Chinese names, but we choose not to go for that because we were kinda worried that he might suggest a name that we will both not like. Besides, it feels kinda odd to us to have a strange to give name to our daughter. Anyway, wifey’s dad came up with a few a week later but wifey rejected them all because they kinda sound a bit odd. Some sounds like boys’ names while others sounds a bit … common (for the lack of a better word). Anyway, we took the suggestions back to my mom but she still come up with something that sound almost similar. So looks like we are stuck. That was wifey tooks things into our own hands. She looked up and decided that for Chinese name we will go with Soon Yi as it sounds and rhymes with my surname. But wifey’s dad suggest that we soften the Soon part because it sounds a bit like a boy’s name and that’s how we got Sue Yi.

An that’s how we come to Sophie Loong Sue Yi.

Labels: ,