of duckies and froggies...

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, June 22, 2007

of boxes and some geeky stuff...

I had the opportunity to purchase Intel microprocessor on a discounted price recently. Since the current PC that I am using is already pretty old, I thought that I should just grab this chance to build my own PC.
To start off, here’s my build:
Processor: I got the Core 2 Duo E6600 as this is the one that I think gave me the best value to performance based on the discounted price that I got.
Motherboard: I chose the Asus P5B-E plus as it is capable to go for quad core if I need to in the future and also it has surround sound audio out and optical audio out, but most importantly is it within my price range.
Hardisk is standard western digital 250 gig
Graphic card: Asus EN8500GT which is the lowest end 8000 series graphic card. Based on what I know/heard the Nvidia 8000 series runs direct x 10 which is what vista is optimized for. Another point for me is that it has digital signal out and also TV (HD capable) signal out which means that if I get a TV that has a DVI in, I can hook it up to the computer. Something interesting happened when I bought the graphic card but that’s another story.
Memory: 2 gig Kingston DDR2 667 RAM. Initially I wanted to get 800 RAMs but the guy who promised to get them for me did not come thru, and since it was the only thing that I still did not have for the build (plus the fact that it was hard to find 800 rams in penang and even if there is, their price were insanely high) , I went for the 667 instead.
Casing: I got the Raidmax smilidon casing. I used to think that casing was not really that important and can just get a cheap one, but after going thru this build, I kinda realize that having a good casing can make a bit of difference. I has a sidepaned that flip down that east the mother board and cards installation and also it looked cool.
Display: Dell had the 22” wide screen on offer at a low price recently so I quickly grabbed it. And not a moment too soon because the week or so after, the price went up by RM100.
Keyboard and mouse: I got another good deal on this one. Recently Microsoft had this wireless mouse and keyboard set on 50% discount. It was so hot that all the shops that I went to in penang were sold out the day after the ad came out. Fortunately a colleague called me from KL and asked me if I have anything to buy from KL (he knew I was building a PC) and I asked him to get the stuff for me.

Here are some links for references:
motherboard: http://my.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&l4=0&model=1399&modelmenu=1
graphic card: http://my.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&l3=515&l4=0&model=1644&modelmenu=1
processor: http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2duo/index.htm
casing: http://www.raidmax.com/specs/smilodon.htm
keyboards and mouse: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=057
Poser supply: http://www1.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=RP-650-PCAR&other_title=RP-650-PCAReXtreme%20Power%20650W


so here are some of the boxes that i started with:

Labels: