of duckies and froggies...

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 07, 2006

James Kim (1971-2006)

I just found out that James Kim has passed away...

For those who are not familiar with him you can read the details here and news of his death here. I am too depressed to write anything for the moment. Maybe will come back to this entry to update it later.

Additional entry:
I got to know about this guy when the Astro channel started airing (the now defunct) Tech TV channel. He was one of the presenters (most of the time on product reviews) of that show. Although a bit kayu and not my favourite presenter, he does share with the audience his enthusiasm on the new tech product that he reviews. When Tech TV went under, he went over to CNET as one of the senior editor. CNET has been all the while my go-to site for tech news and product reviews and I think James do mostly product reviews on MP3 players.

Based on the news report, he died while venturing out to get help for his family who were stranded in their car. Apparently they (he, his wife, 4yr and 7 months old daughters) had took a wrong turn while driving back to san fran after spending thanksgiving and vacationing in Portland. The car got stuck in a back road and they waited for a week for rescuers, when rescue did not reach them he ventured out to get help. He walked for 10+ miles before collapsing (just ½ miles away from the car). The rescuers finally found his wife and daughters and only discovered his body when they followed his tracks in the snow.

I guess I got a bit bothered by his death partly because he died while looking for help for his family. As a soon to be father I kinda felt how it difficult it must be for him. He had to leave his daughters and wife in the car, but he had to. He had to get help. He did what he had to do and that is an honorable act.

I guess, in the coming days, people will debate on his decision on leaving to get help instead of staying put, but in my books, it does not matter. He did what he had to do. He took charge of the situation. He was looking out for the best for his family and that to me is what matters most.

James, you have set the benchmark and may you rest in peace.