of duckies and froggies...

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 04, 2007

of letters and one month...

Dear Sue Yi,
I am just back from seeing you and mommy at the confinement house. We just finished feeding you and I held you for a while before I left just now. You were asleep soundly in my arms and it still amazes me at how much joy you bring to me without you knowing it. I am not sue if it is some sort of a miraculous design, but my arms seems so right when holding you. Seems like it is just nice for your little head to rest on my elbow and when I bring you close, everything seems to fall into the right place and you face will rest gently on my chest. It is as though every part of my arm is designed juts to hold you comfortably. This gives me great joy as somehow I get the sense that I am able to provide you comfort and protection. That I am important you your life just as you are important to mine.
But alas I am still human, as it was getting late, my stomach is calling out for dinner and my arms are beginning to sore. (looks like I need to remind myself to put some exercise on the biceps). I felt as if it is not right when I have to finally put you down in your crib and push you back into the nursery. My heart still ache and miss you every time I leave and although it is not a comfortable feeling, I do somehow hope that I will never ever lose it because in a way it tells me how important you are to me.

There is a saying that goes “Time flies when you are having fun”. I guess for me, time really flew in light speed last as this past month have been the most exciting time for me. Best thing of all is that you are the center and the reason for all that excitement. Come Wednesday (March 7), you will be one month old. You have grown so much since you came out from mommy’s tummy and you have continually shown us your characteristics day by day. You have shown us how assertive and demanding you are when you cry, you have shown us how uncomfortable you can get when you have gas, you have brought us joy when you smile, you have also shown us what an angel you can be when you sleep peacefully. Sometimes I wonder what do you dream of. Of happy times you had in mommy’s womb? Or some faraway place created in your mind? Well I do hope and believe that you will have more happy times as you grow up with mommy and daddy.

As with traditional Chinese custom, parents will celebrate the one month milestone of their baby by distributing those glutinous rice, ‘ang koo’ and egg packages to relatives and friends. I am not really sure what is the origin of the custom but my uneducated guess is that it is to mark the baby’s successfully survived her first month. Probably because in life was hard in the old times so I guess the first month is a big milestone. Personally for me it marks one month of joy and amazement that you have brought us, but more importantly a sense of thankfulness. Thankful that we have been given the privilege to be your parents, thankful that God have protected us throughout, thankful that you were born safely, thankful that you are so utterly beautiful in our eyes, thankful that mommy delivered you safely, thankful that mommy had a relatively no complication during the 9 months of pregnancy but most of all I am thankful for having you and your mommy.

Oh yeah, do come over for a hug after finish reading this ok?

love
daddy

Labels: