of duckies and froggies...

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 08, 2007

of the day a star fell from the sky and landed in my arms...

Dear Sue,
It’s barely 12 hours since you came into the world and hare am I awake in the early hours of the morning and already missing you. It’s 4.50am and my mind won’t let me go to sleep. I keep thinking of you and mommy. I guess I am being a bit selfish and silly here because my mind wants to think about you all the time and I would lose that if I fall asleep. Silly me.
Anyway, you came into the world at around 4.45pm yesterday (7th February) weighing at 3kg and here’s your journey. It all started at around 2.45am yesterday when mommy noticed that she is ‘leaking’ after peeing. According to her she called me a few times but I was sound asleep. She eventually woke me up and told me that the water has broke but she did not feel any contractions. So we thought that we would wait a while and see if the contractions came. None came and mommy told me that she is still feeling fine but she continues to ‘leak’. We decided that if nothing happens we will go to the hospital first thing in the morning.
By around 7 am we were already at the hospital. The nurse at the delivery room told me to go down and register while the checks on mommy. When I came back to the see mommy, she is already in the labor room. That’s when the waiting starts. Mommy still did not feel any pain even until Dr Tan came in at some time past 9am and asked to put in those IV drip thingy. That’s when mommy started to feel the contractions. It came every 5 minutes which later on progressed to 3 minutes. But according to the nurse who is monitoring mommy, the contractions are not at a regular interval, fluctuating between 2 to 5 minutes.
It pains my heart to see mommy in pain and it pained even more when I could not do anything more to relieve her pain other than coaching her on her breathing and holding her hand.
The pain went on throughout the whole morning and lasted into the afternoon. By around 3pm, the nurses checked on mommy and said that she is already at 9cm and is ready to deliver. According to mommy, the contractions were more intense. I remembered giving you a pat on mommy’s tummy to wish you a safe journey. Mommy was also urging you to come out and we were telling you that there are so many things waiting for you out here. By around 3.30pm the nurses have already preparing mommy and beginning to urge her to push. I was asked to stand outside the room at that time and that must have been the most unbearable time that I cam remember. When I got back into the room, the nurses told me that you are already moving and your head is only a few inches away. Dr. Tan came in at around 4pm and did a quick check. He encouraged mommy to continue and went off to do his rounds. Seeing him relaxed gave us a calming effect. Mommy told me before that his strong voice reassures her whenever he speaks and I do agree because do feel reassured too whenever we speak to him. Anyway, he pulled me aside and told me he will use the vacumn suction thingy to help you on your way out. I guess this is where the learning from the ante natal class kicks in because I have at least some understand of what he said. I guess I would have freaked out (given the situation) if I were do not know what he meant.
Back in the delivery room, mommy is still pushing the best that she can but you seem to be reluctant to come out. I think we did 2 tries with the vacumn and you still would not budge. On the third time, mommy pushed again and I can see your head appearing. Mommy was out breath but she keep on pushing and finally your whole head came out followed by your whole body.
According to Dr Tan, you were in an OP position. I didn't quite know what he meant but according to him, most babies were born with their face pointing downward. You on the other hand was facing skywards when you came out from mommy. According to him, this could have contributed to your difficulty in coming out. Now that you are here safe and sound, all those are gibberish to me.

You looked so small and tiny and I just couldn’t believe my eyes. Seeing all the blood and mess, I was a bit panicked but I guess the Doctor and nurses knows what they are doing. I gave mommy a kiss and told her that she did a good job. I stayed with mommy for a while the nurses took you out, I guess to clean you. I can hear your cries from the labor room. I know that in time to come, my feeling about this will change, but your cries sound so soothing and calming.
A while later the nurse came over and told me that I can see you. I don’t know how to describe the feeling when I saw you but I can bet you that it is one of the best feelings that I think a human being can ever have. Then the nurse let me hold you and carry you. You seem so comfortable there and your crying stopped immediately. You seem so comfortable in my arms as if my arms are made just to hold you. Everything seem to fit in the right place. Every fold in my arms seems to have been there exactly at the right place for your limbs. From then on I knew that it is meant to be. It’s not by chance and everything seems so planned out.
You were brought in to see mommy later and I can hear mommy humming tunes to you while I spoke to the doctor. Mommy seem so happy to see you and she later told me that she remembers the feeling that some of her friends told her about holding her baby for the first time. She called it tremendous joy, and I know what she mean. I know that it’s selfish to say this but I guess it must be one of those feelings that are reserved for parents.

You were only 3kg when you came into this world, but if the joy and all the emotions you gave me can be measured, there will be no scale in this world that can measure them.

Welcome to this world Sue Yi, mommy and I look forward to the moments that you’ll spend with us and us with you.

Love,
Your old man

Labels: ,