of duckies and froggies...

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

of levels and pinch of being a parent...

After 5 days of tanning, Sue Yi was discharged from the hospital today. According to the doctor, the level has gone down and she has probably gone through her cycle. Her level (don’t ask me what the level indicate but all I know is that it meant the severity of the jaundice) was at 255 when we brought her in on Saturday. It went up a bit on Sunday 280+ and then went down to 220 on Monday. Today it was at 209 and the doctor said that it is ok got her to go home. Yippee!
I managed to have a lot of quality time with her while she was in the hospital. As whenever I held her, I hummed random tunes so that she can veer the vibrations on my chest. I think she must have loved it because she will fall asleep peacefully when I do that. I also notices more and more about her reactions when I touched her at different areas. She will stir in her sleep if I put my finger on her chest and make faces if I rubbed her arm for too long. But best of all she will smile when I palm my hand over her body. Too bad I did not manage to get a picture of that as she will stop as soon as I remove my hand.
I went to see her throughout the Sunday morning, afternoon and evening. She was ‘upgraded’ to top and bottom lamp due to the higher levels on Sunday. That seem to have improved her condition as her levels went down on Monday.
Every time I went to see her, I tried to time my visit so that I will arrive either before or during feeding time. I want to make sure that I will not disturb her as much as possible, plus want to get a first hand learning from the nurses on feeding Sue Yi. Unfortunately, my timing was out. The few times that I went, they have either just fed her or about to put her back under the light thing.
My very lucky break came on Monday night. It was a slow night at the nursery as Sue Yi is the only baby there and the two nurses were there. I arrived just as they were starting to give her milk. So I asked the nurse to let me try, but sue yi was a bit cheeky, she went straight to sleep when I hold her even when I manage to put the teat in she will not suckle. One of the nurse said that probably it’s because she have poot poot’ed and needs a diaper change. So the other nurse did that. With fresh diapers on the butt, Sue Yi started to suckle again. I felt a sense of accomplishment although it’s a simple act, I’m happy that I managed to do that. Then I got to chat with the nurses and they shared a few tips on caring for Sue Yi. They also taught me how to burp her properly. Nothing like first hand info from the pros. We also chatted about other stuff like confinement house and baby names etc. It was fun chatting with them but I think it also benefited Sue Yi and me as I want her to hear me talking so that she can further imprint on my voice.
Anyway, I went to see her again at 10am this morning because I know that Dr Hasanah will be making her rounds at that time. She wasn’t at the nursery when I arrived, but the good nurses there called her at her office. She came over a while later and checked on Sue Yi. Then she said the magic words, her levels have gone down and she have been in the nursery for 5 (~ 1 cycle of the jaundice) days, so she can go!

And the price for that whole excursion? rm1K. I think I am beginning to feel the pinch of being a parent.

Labels: ,