of duckies and froggies...

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, February 09, 2007

of big adventures and my home...

Dear Sue,
At one day old yesterday, you were already letting us in a bit of your personality. Mommy and I noticed that even though you cry at times, you seem to calm down when we hold you liked to be held and I am proud to say that you really seem to enjoy being in my arms. I caught you smiling at me a few times when I held you and you seem to like to look at me.
We have also discovered what works for you and what don’t. Palming and rubbing your chest calms you and rubbing your cheeks will make you relax. You also like to pout your lips, especially your lower right lip. You also like to make small cooing sounds and sometimes mumbles in your sleep. I wonder what you are dreaming about. Sweet memories of cozying up in mommy’s womb perhaps.
You are still not latching on to mommy but we know that you do try. At times you will try to latch on but sometimes you totally ignored mommy. Then there are times when you just held her there but there are also a few times that you bit mommy.
We also noticed that you are one very inquisitive girl. You like to open your eyes and peep out at the world around you. Whenever mommy and I talk, your eyes will look towards the direction of the person who is talking and if there are other babies in the nursery crying, you will be looking around especially from the direction the crying came from. We do know that at this stage your eyes can’t see far, but we know for sure that in due time you will grow up into a person with great vision (literally and figuratively)

Today, you had your first big adventure. You and mommy were discharged from the hospital. We were initially a bit unsure if you can be discharged as mommy mentioned that Dr Tan told her in the morning that you have a bit of jaundice, but when we checked later with Dr Hasanah, you were given the green light. The friendly nurse at the nursery dressed you up in your new clothes and got you all prettied up for your big adventure. After the nurse explained some stuff to mommy, we were off on our journey, you riding comfortably in my arms!. First destination, mommy’s ward, to get our stuff. I guess the trip must be a bit too much too soon for you as you started to hiccup. I tried to calm you down, but your hiccups continued. Being the doofus and worry wart that I am, I quickly took you back to the nursery and asked the nurse, what’s wrong. The patient and polite nurse explained that it was probably just gas as she had fed you before your adventure. She patted your back a while and then passed you back to me. Back in mommy’s ward, you were still having hiccups, so I did what the nurse demonstrated. And for my effort you rewarded me with a good and solid burps. I guess parenting does make me look at things differently, else why would a simple bodily reaction such as a burp can be so significant to me?
The next leg of our adventure today is the trip to the confinement home. You rode with mommy in the back seat and in the first few kilometers of the journey, mommy keep telling me of how your eyes wonders around to check out your surroundings. I guess you are just assessing the big world out there and the huge potential that it has to offer you. and when it’s yours for the taking, I will be there to support you.
The journey must have been a bit long for you as you fell asleep halfway through. I think I got to take some blame for the long journey as I was driving ever so slowly to ease up any bumps on the road. I can’t remember the last time I was so focused on my driving.
We got to the confinement house sometime around 2.45pm and you were brought immediately into the nursery. The staff there immediately change you into another set of clothes while mommy and I did the registration paperwork. After a bit of crying, you dozed back into your slumber. Probably dreaming about the big adventure you just had.

As for me, after mommy and I checked in into her room, I left for home. I must say that although it seems that I am leaving you and mommy for home, it really does not feels like home that I am going to. It is not that I don’t like out house but somehow, at that moment, it just do not feel like home. Home feels more like the confinement house that I am leaving from. It feels more like my place is there, my comfort is there. My home. I guess my only explanation is that a home is where your loved ones are at and two of the most important people in my life is there. Probably leaving to anywhere that they are not at will never feel like ‘going home’. I am not sure if you are able to grasp what I am saying when you read this but I guess the best way to put it is that you are one part of where my heart lies. At times, you might not know it or see it but it’s there.

One day, I hope and pray that you will find your ‘home’ and that mommy and I are there because you already are where our ‘home’ is at.

Love and Hugs,
Pops

Labels: